- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Environmental Technology. Ghent University (Belgium) , 2008:
Thesis title: Environmental and Human Health Risks of Mercury Released from Artisanal Gold Mining in Tanzania.
Supervised by Prof. dr. Colin Janssen from the Department of Applied Ecology and Environmental Biology.
- Master of Science (MSc) Reproductive Biology,Nairobi University (Kenya) ,1998
Dissertation title: Effects of Organochlorine (Dieldrin) on the endocrinology and testicular morphology of the male rat.
Supervised by the Late Prof. Onyango Wango from the Reproductive Biology Unit, Chiromo Campus.
- Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine, Sokoine University of Agriculture (Tanzania),1995
Graduate report title: Eimeriosis in dairy cattle farms in Morogoro Municipality of Tanzania.
Supervised by Prof. Dominic Mkama Kambarage of the Department of Veterinary Medicine
- Advanced Level Secondary Education,Kibaha High School (Kibaha District) ,1987 - 1989
Graduated with Division One
- Ordinary Level Secondary School Education,Sengerema Secondary School (Sengerema District),1983 -1986
Graduated with Division One
SELECTED FURTHER STUDIES AND TRAINING
- Fore-sighting as a planning tool for economic development and sustainable development,Tampere University (Finland) 2014
- Knowledge and Innovation for Africa Transformation,United Nation Economic Commission for Africa
(Addis Ababa and Abuja) ,2014
- Norms in Cooperate Governance , ESAMI (Arusha) , 2013
- Innovation policy for Development, Harvard University Kennedy School of Governance, 2013
- Management of Uranium mining projects, IAEA and Namibia Uranium Institute,2012
- Nuclear power policy and Project management,IAEA and Korea Institute of Atomic Energy Research (South Korea), 2011
- Public Policy Formulation and analysis,REPOA-Dar es Salaam, 2010
- Induction Course for public service workers, Magogoni Public service Institute Dar es Salaam, 2009
- Leadership in higher Education, Mzumbe University (Morogoro), 2008
- Project formulation and implementation , Ghent University (Belgium) ,2007
- Extensive experience in the application of evidence based research, policy formulation and strategy facilitation
- Intensive capabilities in conceptualising, contextualizing, fore-sighting and generating policies, strategies, scenarios and programme design
- Public policy implementation with emphasis on the Science, Technology and Innovation, Research and Development, Systems of Innovation and Sustainable Development.
- Institutional Innovation
- As a Chairman to the task force successfully participated in writing the National Nuclear Technology policy of 2013
- As Chairman of the task force successfully participated in writing the National Research policy of 2010
- Chairman of the task force successfully participated in writing the National Biotechnology policy of 2010
- As a Chairman of one of the working groups I am involved in reviewing the National ICT policy of 2003
- I am actively involved in the review of the National science and technology policy of 1996
- As a member of the task force, I am participating in the preparation of the national strategy for use of nuclear technology and possible adoption of nuclear energy in Tanzania
- Participated in the writing of the Master Plan for the Ministry of Communication, Science and Technology
- As Chairman of the Tanzania Police force and civilian researchers’ joint technical team we have successfully conducted an impact evaluation of Polisi Jamii programme under the sponsorship of COSTECH and recommended improvement. As a result of the implementation of our recommendations Tanzania Police Force has greatly improved the performance of Polisi Jamii
- As a coordinator, spearheaded the implementation of the review of the National Innovation System review program and prepared three final reports (Background report, External review report and the Synthesis report)
- As a coordinator, spearheaded the implementation of the Cooperation Agreement in Science and Technology between the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of South Africa where we have successfully promoted joint research, learning visits and exhibitions
- As a coordinator participated in the preparation and review of different document necessary for establishment of the Mbeya University of Science and Technology
- As a member of the team involved in the establishment of the Nelson Mandela Institute for Science and Technology – Arusha
- I have been involved in setting up and improving the super- computing facility at Dar es Salaam Institute of Technology (DIT)
- I have represented the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania in various senior officials meetings for Science and Technology in East African Community, SADC, AU, UNESCO, IAEA and in a number of bilateral engagements
- As a deputy dean of the faculty I spearheaded the setting up of 17 new Masters programme in the Faculty of Veterinary medicine
- I have led the Team of Drafting Cooperation Agreements in areas of Science and Technology between the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania and other countries including South Africa, China, Mozambique and India
Tungaraza C, R.T. Chibunda, and A.E. Pereka . Dietary Exposure to Mercury of the Adult Population in Mugusu Artisanal Gold Mining Village, Tanzania: A Total Diet Approach. Open Environmental Engineering Journal: (4), 141-146
Chibunda R.T, Pereka A. E, Phiri E.C.J and Tungaraza, C. Ecotoxicity of Mercury Contaminated Sediment Collected from Mabubi River (Geita district, Tanzania) to the Early Life Stages of African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus). Int. J. Environ. Res., 4(1):49-56
Jesper B Jǿnsson, Peter, W.U.Apple and R.T. Chibunda. A matter of approach: the retort’s potential to reduce mercury consumption within small- scale gold mining settlements in Tanzania. Journal of Cleaner Production. 17, 77-86
Chibunda RT, Janssen CR. Mercury residues in free-grazing cattle and domestic fowl from the artisanal gold mining area of Geita district, Tanzania. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem, 26 (11):1482-7.
Chibunda, R. T. Chronic Toxicity of Mercury (HgCl2) to the Benthic Midge Chironomus riparius. International Journal of Environmental Research, 3, (3) 455-462
Phiri E.C.J.H., M.Viva, R.T Chibunda, and L.S.B. Mellau Effect of Zinc Supplementation on Plasma Mineral Concentration in Grazing Goats in Sub-Humid Climate of Tanzania. Tanzania Veterinary Journal Vol. 26, (2) 92-96
Chibunda R.T. Comparative sensitivity of Caridina nilotica, Haplochromis nubilus, Bulinus africanus and Bulinus forskalii from Lake Victoria, Tanzania to mercury chloride. Chemistry and Ecology. 24, 3, 207-212
Chibunda R.T., Pereka AE and Tungaraza C . Toxicity of sediment collected from artisanal gold mining impacted river to Chironomus riparius in Geita district, Tanzania. Journal of Physics, Chemistry and Earth. J. Phys. Chem. and Earth. 33, 738–743
Phiri, E.C.J.H, Chibunda, R.T, Pereka A.E Mtengeti E.J., Urio, N.A, and Katakweba A.A. Haematological and metabolic profiles of smallholder dairy cows in relation to weither patteins in southern highlands of Tanzania. Tanzania Veterinary Journal , 25 (2) 111-120
Mlay P S, M Seth, S T Balthazary, R T Chibunda, E C J H Phiri and O B Balemba (2007). Total plasma proteins and hemoglobin levels as affected by worm burden in freshwater fish in Morogoro, Tanzania. Livestock Research for Rural Development 19 (2) 2007
Mtengeti E.J., Phiri, E.C.J.H, Chibunda, R.T, Laswai G.H, et al. (2006). Effects of regrowth period, season and harvesting frequency on the yield and nutritive value of Chloris gayana in the southern highlands of Tanzania. African Journal of Range and Forage Science 23 (2): 107–111
Chibunda R.T, Makene V.W., Pereka A.E., and Magayane F.T (2006). Heat Intolerance Syndrome Associated with Foot and Mouth Disease in Cattle:Animal behaviour and Physiological parameters: Tanzania Veterinary Journal, 23 (2) 79-89
Mellau LSB, Mlay PS, BAlichene P, Balthazary ST, Phiri EC, Chibunda RT, and Mutayoba SK (2006). The potential of ‘Magadi’ in the treatment of poor quality roughages. Tanzania Veterinary Journal , 23 (2) 90-103
Chibunda R.T, Tungaraza, C, Pereka A.E (2006). Concentration of mercury in fish from Nungwe bay of Lake Victoria: Public health implications: Tanzania Veterinary Journal , 23 (2) 135-145
Mlay P S, Seth M, Pereka A.E, Balthazary S T, , Phiri E C J H, Chibunda R T and Balemba O B (2006). Haematological Parameters of freshwater fish species in Morogoro, Tanzania. Tanzania Veterinary Journal , 23 (2) 146-156
Catley A. R.T.Chibunda, E.Ranga, S. Makungu, F.T. Magayane, G. Magoma, M.J Madege and W.Vosloo (2004). Participatory diagnosis of a heat –intolerance Syndrome in cattle in Tanzania and association with foot-and-mouth disease. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 65. 17-30
Pereka, A. E., Makene V. W., Chibunda, R. T., Maselle R. M., Phiri E. C. J. H. and Kambarage D. M. (2001). Heat Intolerance Associated with Foot and Mouth Disease in Cattle: Haematological Parameters and Plasma Metabolites. Tanzania Veterinary Journal 21:63-68.
Chibunda, R. T., Wango E. O., Oduor Okello, Miaron O.J., Pereka A. E. and Winga J. O. (1998). Effects of injecting Dieldrin on Plasma testosterone and Plasma Lutenizing Hormone In male rats; Tanzania Veterinary Journal 18, 2: 127-135.
Chibunda, R. T., Wango E. O., Oduor Okello, Miaron O.J., Pereka, A. E. and Winga J.O (1998). Effects of feeding Dieldrin on Invitro Production of testosterone and Luteinizing Hormone in male rats. Kenya Veterinary Journal 23: 3: 12-19.
Chibunda, R. T., Wango E.O., Oduor-Okello D., Miaron J (1998). The effects of dieldrin on the reproductive system of the neonatal male rat. Tanzania Veterinary Journal 17: supp. 3: 168-175.
Chibunda, R. T., Muhairwa, A., Kazwala, R. R. and Kambarage (1997). Eimeriosis in dairy cattle farms in Morogoro Municipality of Tanzania. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 31: 191 – 197.
- Vice Chancellor Sokoine University of Agriculture, April 2017 to date
- Acting Director Directorate of Science, Technology and Innovation, Ministry of Communication, Science and Technology - Tanzania, 2016 -2017
- Assistant Director and Head of Research and Development Section Directorate of Science, Technology and Innovation, Ministry of Communication, Science and Technology - Tanzania,2009 -2016
- Associate Professor Sokoine University of Agriculture,2011 –to date
- Senior Lecturer and Faculty Deputy Dean Sokoine University of Agriculture, 2008-2009
- Lecturer Sokoine University of Agriculture,2003 -2007
- Assistant Lecturer Sokoine University of Agriculture,2000-2003
- Managing Clinician Mwanza Veterinary Clinic, 1999-2000
- Private Veterinary practitioner Dar es Salaam City,1998
- Research Assistant ENRECA PROJECT (Sokoine University), 1995-1996
MEMBERSHIP IN GOVERNING BOARDS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Chairman of the Governing Board of Tropical Pesticide Research Institute – 2015 to date
- Member in the Governing Board for the Kibaha Education Centre 2015 - 2018
- Member in the Governing Board for the Tanzania Atomic Energy Commission (TAEC) -2012 - 2017
- Member in the Governing Board for the Tropical Pesticide Research Institute (TPRI) – 2013 - 2015
- Member in the Governing Board for the Marian University College – Bagamoyo 2015 - 2017
- Member of the Governing Board for Muhimbili University for Health and Allied Sciences – 2015 - 2017
- Member of the Governing Board for Dodoma University -2015 - 2017
- Member of the Kairuki Memorial University – 2017 to date
- Senate of the Sokoine University of Agriculture – 2013-2015
- Senate of the Mbeya University of Science and Technology 2014-2016
- Senate of the Nelson Mandela Institute of Science and Technology - Arusha 2013 - 2015
- Tanzania Food and Drug Authority National Advisory Committee on Food Safety 2010
- Governing Board for the Dar es Salaam Education College (DUCE) 2012-2014
- Member of the Tanzania Veterinary Association
- Member of the World Society for Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) (African branch)
Like & Share this page
Google Scholar Citation Profile: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=nEkRaQwAAAAJ&hl=en